We’re glad to announce Socialite 1.5 with some important changes. It’s available immediately to direct customers. It was also submitted to the Mac App Store yet the reviews there take about a month now. Use the auto-update mechanism or download directly.
Read the release notes below carefully. There are some important changes in there. There are also some under-the-hood improvements that are not visible in the notes which will help future development.
Note, the version submitted to the Mac App Store will be sandboxed, to adhere to Apple’s requirements. The direct version is not sandboxed.
- Socialite is now a 64-bit application. Previous versions were only 32-bit. This means it’s more adapted for the future and also that it won’t run on the 32-bit Macs (first generation Intel machines).
- Text is now sharp on the Retina display. Also updated the application icon for the larger size required for Retina display.
- Flickr authentication update. Flickr is deprecating its old application authentication mechanism in favor of the more standard OAuth authentication. For you it means future support for Flickr. It also means that Socialite will ask you to authenticate your account again. Only once per a Flickr account.
- Removed Digg service. The old Digg service was sold and discontinued. The new site is a completely different service. Most of you probably did’t care about Digg by now anyway.
- Allow increasing and decreasing font size in web view (RSS articles). This is available with
Ctrl–0. The commands are also available in the right-click menu or in the View menu. The zoom setting is remembered between relaunches of Socialite.
- Updated Growl SDK to version 2.0. If you’re using Growl 2.0, you’ll now be able to forward Socialite’s notifications to Mountain Lion’s Notification Center. Hopefully there also should be less crashes related to the buggy Growl SDK in the previous version.
- Add menu item “Reveal Database File” in the Help menu.
- Security enhancements and minor bug fixes
Today (Aug 3rd) we released to the Mac App Store version 1.2.8 Cashculator Free. Only the free version was updated and it includes the following important changes:
- It is Lion-only. It won’t run on Snow Leopard.
- It can now be unlocked through In-App purchase to have all the features of the regular Cashculator version. This means unlimited planning into the future and unlimited number of “what-if” scenarios.
- Cashculator is now working inside the sandbox, which is an important new security feature in Lion. This brings increased protection from possible hackers if they break Cashculator to do their bidding. For example, Cashculator now won’t be able to access files on your file system, except the files it needs for work or your CSV exports.
- Important: Because Cashculator works in the sandbox now, it also means that the database is moved to the application’s container, which is a special folder in the user’s Library folder (which is by default hidden in Lion).
In non-sandbox Cashculator, the database was at [user home]/Library/Application Support/cashculator/
folder, and now it is in [user home]/Library/Containers/com.apparentsoft.cashculatorfree/Data/Library/Application Support/cashculator/. Yes, much deeper in the folder hierarchy.
- One of the features that was hit by sandboxing was the ability to have Cashculator’s database in any location in the file system and not only inside the Application Support. This is now not possible (remember the container?) so if you had your database in a custom folder, you should copy it inside the container folder above. If you didn’t move your database manually, you don’t need to do anything. All files will be moved inside the container automatically.
To celebrate this event we temporarily set the price of the in-app purchase at 33% discount of the regular price.
Note, only the Free edition of Cashculator requires OS X Lion. The regular version of Cashculator on the Mac App Store works on 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and the version available directly on our site is a Universal binary running on PPC or Intel on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).